My Google Earth





Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Mobilize Me: My Week with Alex


Visit to Alex



               Recently I visited Zambia to meet Alex. Alex is a mechanic as well as a farmer. He works hard to provide for his family and loves what he does. I really enjoyed the visit I with Alex. He lives close by to Ethel, who seems to be the "matriarch" of the village. When I first got there, I rested, had some traditional foods. After that, we went to bed, and woke up to the sun. By then, Ethel was off to school, and Alex was off farming.  On the three days following, I spent time playing soccer with the kids in the village. They were all nice, and extremely humble. They didn't ask for much and they just loved being there and playing with their friends. After that, I went to get some experience with Alex and helped fix bikes. We repaired around a total of 25 bikes, working hard in the beating sun. We even got to fix Ethel's bike! She was really nice and was very thankful.  Repairing those bikes took 2 days, as people lived in many different areas and it took time for them to come to us or us to go to them. On the last two days, Alex showed me the ropes of farming, and it was a really interesting hobby. When I get home off this plane, I plan to start my own farm with the same fruits and vegetables, just like him. I am really glad I got to go, and feel honored that he'd let me spend time with him.

If you're interested more about him, check this video out!


Playing soccer
Alex showing me the tools

Alex showing me how to repair a wheel
Ethel riding her repaired bike





1 comment:

Unknown said...

It was really good, but a little short. I liked the pictures you added and the details about how many bikes you repaired and about how you repaired Ethel's bike.