My Google Earth





Friday, May 23, 2014

KIVA: My Week With the Lisbon Group

Day 1


As the plane touched down in Tanzania, it felt wonderful to stretch my legs after the long, long flight. I had just landed in Julius Nyerere International Airport, in the rich town of Dar Es Salaam. Today I was planning to meet "The Lisbon Group", in particular Zainabu, along with her husband, Akida. (Made up a name, due to a name not given.) The airport was surprisingly clean, and there, a few steps away, stood Akida, along with Zainabu. Akida is tall, dressed in a white collared t-shirt, and he has a smile that you don't see every day. He greeted me with the "Salama", and we grabbed a taxi and headed to their humble home. It was late, the moon already high in the sky, so he offered me so water and I went to bed, wondering what will come tomorrow. 

Day 2

As the sun creeped over the horizon and rays of light shined through the window, and I could smell the scent of breakfast, taunting me, as if saying, "Get up, I know you're hungry. Get up." I crawled out of bed and rushed over to the kitchen to see Zainabu at the stove, warming up some chai tea. On the menu was andazi, half keki, chapati and some beef samosa. I spoke with Akida about the day and we decided to go see the city. We walked around the city, snacking on what the various stores had to offer. We ate lunch while walking, discussing life in Dar Es Salaam and we headed home. We had a quick dinner, consiting of some chai tea and beef. I said my goodbyes, as in the morning I would be leaving. After our long walk in the city, I had felt like part of their family and I am extremely thankful I was able to be with them and I would do it again.

Day 3

I woke up early, said my quick goodbyes, wished them good luck, and headed to Julius Nyerere International Airport. With sadness in my heart, I hopped on the plane and went to sleep. I was ready to go home.. but I will always remain in Tanzania.

No comments: